Switching From a Regimen of Two Nucleos(t)Ide Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTI) Plus a Third Agent to a Fixed Dose Combination (FDC) of Bictegravir/Emtricitabine/Tenofovir Alafenamide (B/F/TAF), in Virologically-Suppressed, HIV-1 Infected African American Participants
The primary objective of this study is to evaluate the efficacy of switching from a regimen of 2 nucleos(t)ide reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) and a third agent to a fixed dose combination (FDC) of bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide (B/F/TAF) versus continuing their baseline regimen in HIV-1 infected, virologically suppressed African American participants.
- HIV-1 Infection
- Eligible Ages
- Over 18 Years
- Eligible Genders
- Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Self-describes as Black, African American, or mixed race, including Black
- Currently receiving an ARV regimen other than FDC of B/F/TAF that consists of any two NRTIs + allowed 3rd agent for ≥ 6 months
- Allowed 3rd agents include any FDA-approved INSTI, with the exception of bictegravir, any FDA-approved NNRTI with the exception of etravirine, PI or the CCR5 antagonist, maraviroc.
- If the baseline 3rd agent is dolutegravir, dosing other than 50 mg once daily is excluded.
- Baseline regimens containing investigational drugs or > 2 classes of ARVs are not permitted, with the exception of the pharmacologic enhancers cobicistat (taken with elvitegravir or a PI), or ritonavir (taken with a PI).
- Have no documented or suspected resistance to INSTIs and no history of virologic failure on an INSTI containing regimen (2 consecutive HIV-1 RNA ≥ 50 copies/mL after achieving <50 copies/mL while on an INSTI-containing regimen).
- History of 1-2 thymidine analogue mutations (TAMs), M184V/I, and any other RT substitutions are allowed, with the following exceptions: History of 3 or more TAMs (M41L, D67N, K70R, L210W, T215F/Y, and K219Q/E/N/R), T69-insertions, or K65R/E/N in RT will be excluded.
- Documented plasma HIV-1 RNA < 50 copies/mL during treatment with the baseline regimen for a minimum period of 6 months and at least the last two HIV-1 RNA measurements prior to the Screening visit
- HIV-1 RNA levels < 50 copies/mL at Screening
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) ≥ 50 mL/min according to the Cockcroft-Gault formula for creatinine clearance
- History of 3 or more TAMs (M41L, D67N, K70R, L210W, T215F/Y, and K219Q/E/N/R), T69-insertions, or K65R/E/N in RT
- No desire to switch from current antiretrovirals (ARVs)
- An opportunistic illness indicative of stage 3 HIV diagnosed within the 30 days prior to screening
- Participants experiencing decompensated cirrhosis (e.g., ascites, encephalopathy, or variceal bleeding)
- Have been treated with immunosuppressant therapies or chemotherapeutic agents within 3 months of study screening, or expected to receive these agents or systemic steroids during the study (eg, corticosteroids, immunoglobulins, and other immune- or cytokine-based therapies)
- Current alcohol or substance use judged by the Investigator to potentially interfere with participant study compliance
- Active, serious infections (other than HIV-1 infection) requiring antibiotic or antifungal therapy within 30 days prior to Day 1
- Participation in any other clinical trial, including observational studies, without prior approval from the sponsor is prohibited while participating in this trial
- Any other clinical condition or prior therapy that, in the opinion of the Investigator, would make the participant unsuitable for the study or unable to comply with the dosing requirements
- Known hypersensitivity to FDC of B/F/TAF tablets, their metabolites, or formulation excipient
- Females who are pregnant (as confirmed by positive serum pregnancy test)
- Females who are breastfeeding
- Acute hepatitis in the 30 days prior to randomization
- Active tuberculosis infection
Note: Other protocol defined Inclusion/Exclusion criteria may apply.
- Phase 3
- Study Type
- Intervention Model
- Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose
- None (Open Label)
|Participants will receive B/F/TAF FDC.||
Stay on Baseline Regimen
|Participants will stay on 2 NRTIs and a third agent until Week 24, with a delayed switch to B/F/TAF FDC at Week 24.||
- NCT ID
- Gilead Sciences
Study ContactGilead Clinical Study Information Center